Watch sunlight and weather patterns move across Earth throughout the day, and bask in the glory of our blue marble in real time.
Every 20 minutes (or every hour, you pick), Downlink updates your desktop background with the newest images of Earth.
Choose from 10 different views of Earth, including stunning full disk images from 3 different geostationary satellites.
Thanks to NASA, NOAA, JMA, Lockheed Martin, Harris Corporation, ULA, MHI, and everyone else who designed, built, launched, and operate GOES-16, GOES-17, and Himawari-8.
If you’d like to use the sources Downlink is built on top of, here is the file pointing to those resources. Use it, and tell me what you’ve built!
If you enjoy my work on Downlink, I also write and podcast about all things space over at Main Engine Cut Off.
Other Views, Europe, & Africa?
As new sources come online, they’ll be added to the app as fast as possible.
As of yet, though, I haven’t been able to find an open and available data source for Europe and/or Africa with the image quality and refresh frequency needed.
If and when one is available, it’ll be in the app.
- Fixed rendering issues with some new images from GOES-East and GOES-West.
- Fixed a rendering issue with some new images from GOES-West.
- Added the ability to have different sources per display. Open the Downlink window on each display to select its source.
- Or disable a display entirely, by checking the option in the settings menu.
- Fixed an issue that prevented spaces from being updated with the freshest image.
- Fixed an issue that prevented downloads from being paused while the screen saver or lock was active.
- Added a “Refresh now” button to the settings menu (helpful if you need to force a re-download of a corrupted image).
- Fixed a rendering issue with some new images from GOES-East.
Support & Privacy
If you need help, send me a tweet or write me an email.
Downlink does not collect or store any data. It downloads a configuration file from this website, and images from noaa.gov and rammb.cira.colostate.edu. That’s it.